Thursday, July 1, 2010

Are you kidding me??!!


Yesterday, as I drove home from a long day of work, I started thinking about my goals to write something everyday. I thought, "What am I going to blog about today?" Although the day was long and hot, it was very productive and nothing really bothered me. I really didn't know what to vent about ... until I arrived at the following intersection:

This intersection seems to be the most confusing intersection for people in Rexburg. The only exception might be the new crosswalk installed on 2nd W. That will certainly be blogged about some other day. Anyway, back to this cursed intersection. Notice that the intersection has train tracks running alongside the the street that runs north and south. From the perspective here, there are (or should be) 3 lanes: two left-turn lanes and one through/right turn lane. What confused people here?? Well, looking at the picture - where would you most likely stop if you were waiting for a red light? Would you go past the railroad tracks or stay behind them? It is clear that most everyone stops on the other side of the tracks while waiting for a red light. Of course, it is pretty unclear in this picture where you should stop ... I don't see any thick white lines indicating where you should stop.

For a number of months, however, there has been a very thick white line painted a few feet to the west of the rails (just about where the shadow is projected from the railroad caution lights). Does that line indicate you should stop? Yes. To top it off - there is a large sign on the righthand side of the road that says "Stop here on red" with an arrow pointing at the thick white line. Any confusion? Hopefully not.

When I come to this intersection about 20 bagillion times a week, I always stop at the white line. Some people do the same. Most do not. Let us now return to my voyage home yesterday. I approached the intersection in the far left lane and stopped at the white line and noticed a minivan close behind me. He didn't really like that I stopped there I guess. What he did made my blood boil. It was ironically at this moment that I thought, "I don't have anything to blog about today ..." A manly minivan driver swerved to the right, drove across the tracks and past me, then swerved to the left in front of me on the opposite side of the tracks. My jaw seriously dropped. I couldn't believe it! It made me so mad. I almost honked and waved my fist ... but didn't. To make it worse, the next intersection we came to, he blatantly ran a red light.

If you are wondering what state he was from ... it was Washington. Oh, and he had a BYU "Y" sticker on the bumper. If you find him, tell him I want a word with him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is super ridiculous. By the way, I love your blog. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete