Saturday, July 17, 2010

Greasy Blues

Behold a picture of a scratched CD. A scratched CD caused me severe heartache a few days ago.
My stupid iPod nano busted a couple months ago out of nowhere. This means I have to either engage in thoughtful reflection by my own accord or I have to be entertained some other way. Obviously thoughtful reflection is boring so I have to find some other way to keep my brain happy. So I have been keeping my old collection of CDs (compact discs for those of you born after 1998 ...) in my car. When I was coming home from work, I inserted an old favorite: Stevie Ray Vaughan. What, you didn't know I was a huge fan of Texas Blues? In high school I tried converting some of my friends to Stevie Ray Vaughan but they just laughed at me. Stupid idiots.

Anyway, it had been a very long time since I had last been enveloped in greasy blues music so I decided to revisit those good old days. I skipped to track 6 (from the "The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Album", Disc 2), "Little Wing." Some of you will not have heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan (known as SRV), but I truly hope that you have heard of Jimi Hendrix. Jimi originally wrote "Little Wing" and this is SRV's version. So amazing.

Here is an embedded YouTube video of the song. Because most of you won't care to listen to it all, I at least ask you to listen from 3:00 - 5:00. I doubt anyone will feel engulfed in the music like I feel, but just give it a shot.

Back to being negative: the first few minutes of this song on my CD kept getting interrupted by annoying skips. I had to fast forward through much of it. About 3:00 in it stopped. I started getting really into it and pretty much forgot I was driving down the highway. I even forgot the CD was scratched. At 4:40 it starts getting really greasy and I started yelling in my car. I know that sounds weird - and it is. But then it started to freaking skip! I was so mad. I was kicked out of my musical bliss. The worst part is that I haven't taken the CD out of my case for who knows how long! How did it even get scratched? Almost all of my CDs are like that. I don't get it.

Maybe I should just go buy a new iPod or something. They seem to make everyone happy. I don't have the money though. Anybody looking to buy someone an iPod?

Stupid CDs.

2 comments:

  1. I really love your writing. Hilarious. I've had similar audio-experiences recently with my old cds. Where's my Pearl Jam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve-O. I invite you to vent with me if you feel so inclined. I also invite you to sleep on my floor sometime. And to invite me to invite you to be invited to the invitational swimming party open to all invitees. Invite.

    ReplyDelete