Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How Hard is good customer service?

According to some companies it's really hard apparently. I recently purchased a Toshiba computer it was small and lightweight and had loads of power the perfect computer I thought. After having it home for 2 days the thing started giving me error messages that it was overheating and the fan wasn't working and it was now shutting down. Needless to say this was really upsetting me. I called customer service and was slowly connected with a dude named Abu from somewhere in the India,Pakistani region where goats outnumber people. He began by telling me that I had a software problem and should try to completely restore the computer, though I knew the fan wasn't turning and the computer was quite hot(apparently Toshiba's customer service gurus think that a Fan is somehow software). Anyway after spending 5 hours waiting for the thing to reload and having the same problems I quickly returned it to the store for a full refund before the 7 day refund period expired. Today I found out that Toshiba just recalled that piece of crap computer and 40,000 just like it. How many times did Abu make these poor unsuspecting customer reboot a computer that was no good??? Toshiba should be sued for wasting so much time if all 40000 were forced to reboot taking 5 hours that's 200,000 man hours!!!
Contrast that with the Company Apple. I now own almost entirely Apple Computing products, for a variety of reasons but seriously one of the biggest is I can call and talk to a fairly articulate English speaker from somewhere in Cupertino California and they understand me and I understand them. Now somebody out there may question my ability to understand Abu from India, maybe I don't speak English well myself.? and that could be but I do speak French and have conversed reasonably well with some bizarre french/English dialects, and frankly it's my customer service and I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes trying to help Abu spell my name properly ok!? (J-o-e, it's not hard).

Well I learned two valuable lessons from this little experience; Know who outsources their Customer Service, (in fact we should start a list of companies that do and do not outsource their customer service I can't find a list so I will create on here.) Secondly you definitely get what you pay for, insourcing costs more money but makes for happier customers. Even Wal-mart insources.

No comments:

Post a Comment